Each year thousands of people become injured or ill due to the effects
of an unintentional harmful substance exposure. This
may occur by direct skin contact, inhalation, absorption or ingestion of
the substance into the body. About
65 percent of these exposures are from ingestion of toxic substances and
13 percent are from bites and stings. Although these
occur in all age groups and socioeconomic strata, children less than
five years of age are the most common victims. Adults over 18 years of
age are the next highest group of exposures.
There are basic principles to consider:
There are generally no antidotes for most poisoning.
Small children can get protective caps off bottles faster than most adults can.
Siblings share, even with pets.
Children do not always admit the truth or truly know the amount ingested.
Harmful substances are defined as chemicals, products and plants that
threaten the safety of people and pets.
Harmful chemicals commonly found in homes and schools include ammonia,
bleach, dish soap, antifreeze, alcohol,
insecticides, paint, petroleum products (kerosene and turpentine),
herbicides, pesticides, drain cleaner, pine oil cleaner, spray
cleaners, certain cosmetics, swimming pool additives, prescription and
non-prescription medications, recreational drugs,
tobacco products, mothballs and disc batteries among others. Common
harmful plant exposures include mushrooms, poinsettias and oleanders.
A harmful exposure is not always identifiable unless the person involved
tells someone, asks for help or behaves
inappropriately. Children are more likely not to tell an adult that they
have swallowed some pills because they fear punishment.
Adults then must learn to recognize a harmful exposure incident by
carefully watching children in their care for signs of
unusual odors or unusual behavior. The most obvious sign of a harmful
exposure may be open pill bottles, plants that have
obviously been chewed on or eaten from, open containers or a child
complaining of a "tummy ache." It is important when
caring for children that an adult survey areas where the children have
access, especially high-risk areas such as the garage, kitchen or
Most harmful substance exposures in the toddler and child age groups
occur when a youngster ingests an over-the-counter
or prescription medicine such as cough medicine and cold preparations,
ibuprofen, acetaminophen, Tylenol, aspirin and multi-vitamins.
Adults most often have swallowed improperly stored liquids in glasses,
bottles, jars and other containers accounting for the
largest number of harmful substance exposures in that age group. The
Poison Control Center, 1-800-256-9822, (if it is serious, call 9-1-1)
provides around-the-clock advice and assistance with specially trained
personnel for patients experiencing serious toxic problems. They can be
called anytime to answer questions or provide guidelines following a
toxic exposure. More than 85 percent of these exposures can be handled
in the home.
If a chemical or hazardous substance spill occurs, evacuate the area
immediately. Continued exposure to the substance may
be harmful. Call the fire department by dialing 9-1-1. If a person
swallows a chemical or household product, give sips of water or milk
immediately. Call 9-1-1.
If a person ingests any non-prescribed drug or overdoses on a
medication, do not give them anything by mouth. Call 9-1-1.
The Poison Control Center does not recommend giving the person ipecac.
If the person of a suspected harmful substance exposure is found
unresponsive, do not give anything by mouth. Call 9-1-1.
If a harmful substance gets into the eyes, flush immediately with water.
Have the person blink frequently, but do not force the eyelid open. If
it is serious, call 9-1-1. Otherwise, call Poison Control.
If a harmful substance comes in contact with the skin, flush with water.
One exception is the chemical lime. If this comes in
contact with the skin, first dust the product off the skin to avoid a
chemical burn and then flush with water. If it is serious, call 9-1-1.
Otherwise, call Poison Control.
If a person inhales a harmful substance such as a pesticide spray,
cleaning product or natural gas, get them to fresh air
quickly. Do not place yourself at risk. Open doors and windows to allow
fresh air to enter the contaminated room or building. If it is serious,
9-1-1. Otherwise, call Poison Control. If someone is stung by a
scorpion, bee, wasp, or bitten by a black widow spider, or an
unidentified creature, call Poison Control.
In general, if an exposure appears life threatening (the person is dizzy
or weak, has a chemical burn or is short of breath),
call 9-1-1. If the person is unconscious, do not give anything by mouth.
Call 9-1-1. If it appears minor in nature or additional advice is
needed, call the Poison Control Center.
Preventing A Harmful Exposure
Keep all harmful substances out of sight and reach and do not store them
under the sink. "Childproof" caps are not childproof. They can be
opened, given a child's remarkable resources and ability to explore.
Install safety locks on all medicine cabinets, drawers and cupboards
where harmful substances are stored. These substances include:
over-the-counter drugs and vitamins
automotive fluids and oils
insecticides, pesticides and herbicides
Teach toddlers and young children to "always ask first" before touching
or sampling something new.
Never leave children alone with a harmful substance that the adult is
Store household chemicals away from food to prevent contamination. Keep
cleaning products and medications out of the kitchen.
Many senior citizens request their prescription medicines not be
packaged in "childproof" bottles. Special precautions should be taken in
households where young children and senior citizens live together.
Do not take medications in front of children. They may wish to mimic
you, especially if the medication is designed to make you "feel better."
Never tell a child medicine tastes like candy.
Keep all medications in their original bottles.
When taking or giving medicines at night, turn on a light to see what is
being administered. Be sure all medicines, cosmetics,
and personal care products are stored out of children's reach and not in
nightstands or on dresser tops.
Dispose of old medications by flushing them down the toilet. Other
items, such as shampoo and mouthwash should be stored
away from children because of their attractive smells and high alcohol content.
A key should be kept available outside the bathroom if the door has a lock on it.
Visitors to the home should use the same care in preventing harmful
Suitcases should not be left open for children to explore.
After adults have a party, all smoking materials including butts and
ashes should be extinguished and discarded. All
unfinished alcoholic beverages should be poured down the drain. Tobacco
products and alcoholic drinks, even in small
amounts, are dangerous to children and pets. The garage and storage
areas can contain weed killer, fertilizer, window
cleaner, car wax, paint products, pool chemicals, antifreeze, and other
harmful substances. Place them out of a child's reach and store them in
their original, labeled container.
When a chemical container is empty, rinse it out with water and replace
the cap before throwing it away in a covered trash can.
Know the names of the plants in your home, garden, and lawn. Keep a list
handy in case a child or pet ingests one. Remember, even common
houseplants may be harmful or deadly when swallowed. For questions
concerning harmful substances call Poison Control at 1-800-256-9822 or
for disposal of small amounts of chemicals call DEQ at (225) 342-1234.
Return To Home